Saturday, May 26, 2007

Yizards

A few weeks back, the Princess (remember her? Probably not; no one was reading this blog back then. Back to the Cast of Characters with you!) and I were on the bus to the library. I had started talking, why I don't know, about lizards.

lizard on rock

"I don't yike yizards," the Princess said. She hasn't yet mastered the [l] phoneme, although she is much better with [r] than most three-year-olds. (Linguistically, they're related. It's been a long time since freshman linguistics, so I can't tell you more than that, but I'm right.) The problem is, this is addictive. After a while you start asking her if she wants orange juice or yemonade, or telling her that the yibrary is two blocks away. "Yike" for "like" has become a common substitution in the house, if one is trying to be particularly cute or make a point.

"Why don't you like lizards?" I asked.

"They are scary and yucky and they taste bad," she said.

They taste bad?

The Wife and I just listened to a fascinating episode of Radio Lab while driving around Miami earlier this week. Radio Lab is an excellent combination of geekery and good audio production, made at WNYC, our hometown NPR, and available--for free--through iTunes and probably various other means of obtaining podcasts. Anyway, they were talking about the notion of the self, and how humans come to have it, and one of the things they talked about was how we have the ability to come up with abstract concepts. So we can look at a red thing, and understand red as separate from the other properties of it. We can put elements together--for instance, we can see a bird, and see a baby, and imagine a winged baby, a cherub.

I wonder if this isn't how we imagine food. We are able to assign qualities to it, in advance of tasting it. When someone says something tastes like cloves, I can imagine it, to a limited extent, because I can separate out the "clove-taste" element of a clove, as separate from the shape, the texture, the unpleasant sensation of biting down on one unexpectedly in your pumpkin pie, the way they feel when you push them into an orange. If someone tells me that a new food is bitter, or sweet, or floral, then I can think of it, and I know what it tastes like, maybe, a little.

How does the Princess know lizards taste bad?

What qualities is she able to assign to them, from her understanding of lizards? She has only seen them on television, and at the children's museum. Is it the smell? The fact that they are scaly? The fact that she is a little frightened of them?

camoflage lizard

Me? I don't know what lizards taste like. Everyone says chicken, but I think that's a lack of imagination. What I do know is I love the little lizards that seem to be everywhere I look right about now. I first saw a wild lizard the first time I went to France; they lay sunning themselves on the deck near the pool, just like we did. They are all over Florida, fast ones, ones with brown heads and black bodies and ones with speckles and even some green ones. They make this place seem magical. I love to watch them scurry away from our footsteps, to see them become still and hope I don't see them.

I yike yizards. Someday, I'll have to convince the Princess.

3 Comments:

Blogger bazu said...

That is so interesting that she assumed lizards taste bad. Makes you reallly wonder, as you said, about the process of associations in her head about the gustatory and other characteristics of the little guys.

Oh by the way, the roller coaster at coney island (the cyclone) is not to be missed! So it's pushing 80 years old... that just adds to the flavor!

11:01 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

juicy couture outlet, moncler, pandora charms, pandora charms, canada goose uk, pandora jewelry, ugg,uggs,uggs canada, moncler, moncler, moncler, ugg boots uk, moncler, canada goose outlet, wedding dresses, montre pas cher, karen millen, supra shoes, louis vuitton, ugg pas cher, louis vuitton, doudoune canada goose, moncler, canada goose, canada goose, juicy couture outlet, canada goose, moncler, swarovski crystal, swarovski, ugg,ugg australia,ugg italia, canada goose, coach outlet, links of london, louis vuitton, canada goose outlet, moncler outlet, toms shoes, pandora jewelry, thomas sabo, louis vuitton, bottes ugg, hollister, replica watches, sac louis vuitton pas cher, marc jacobs

8:49 PM  
Blogger deraz said...

خدمات الشارقة – المحترف للصيانة – الامارات
أرقام كهربائي منازل الشارقة
فني كهربائي منازل الشارقة

3:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home