Monday, January 08, 2007

The Cast of Characters

Me: A twenty-something vegetarian radical lesbian feminist with a cooking itch. On the days when grad school gets me down, I fantasize about starting a little restaurant in outer Brooklyn, where I would gradually work my way up to getting a New York Times star on the strength of my lentil paté and gluten-free crèpes. Or possibly having the Food Network hire me to make travel specials on Middle Eastern food.

Wife: The sponsor of my insanity. Works 9-to-5 (well, 10-to-6) at a socially responsible job in order to keep us all fed. Has celiac disease, and has been gluten-free since June of 2005. Graciously puts up with the food, and the politics. The wedding will be in May.

Boy: My best friend and our beloved roommate. A fellow queer revolutionary in college, now moonlighting as a ballerina and personal assistant.

The House: A queer feminist communal living arrangement in central Brooklyn, complete with chore chart, weekly collective shopping, house meetings, and tournaments of Risk.

Wicket and Vodka: Our children, in all their four-legged, furry glory. It wouldn't be a lesbian commune without cats, would it? Yes, those are their real names.

Princess: My main source of income--er, my best friend. Who is three. And in a princess phase. A serious one. Right now the babysitting schedule's at two days a week, three sometimes.